Austria - English
Effective Date: January 1, 2023
Novavax will only collect and use information about you for specific and lawful purposes.
With this policy, we want to inform you of:
- When and why we need information about you
- What Personal Data we collect
- How your Personal Data is collected and how it may be shared
- What rights and control you have over our processing
Should you have any further questions about how we process your data, please don't hesitate to:
While we appreciate you asking us first, we also want to make you aware of how to contact, or lodge a complaint with:
Novavax company group
"Novavax", "we", and "us" refers to Novavax Inc. In legal terms we are the "Controller" for any personal data processing described in this privacy notice. Where our processing involves one of our subsidiaries, your data may be shared or transferred in a way that we strive to make transparent to you. Should a subsidiary then become a separate or joint controller with us - in other words should another part of our company group make decisions on the processing, we will inform you of this at the applicable time.
21 Firstfield Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
Phone: 1-844-NOVAVAX (668-2829)
When and why we need information about you
This privacy notice covers how and why we collect and use Personal Data about you, through our provisions of Services.
When we use the term “Personal Data”, we mean data that reasonably can be used to identify a person or that reasonably relates to a living person (a “Data Subject”).
When we use the term “Services”, we mean to refer collectively to:
- The website Novavax.com and any others owned and controlled by us that link to this privacy notice (“Sites”).
- Prospective research and employee application processes (“Application Activities”)
While considering applications for employment, including evaluating and confirming your suitability for a position and accuracy of any information submitted we may make our own inquiries to verify or add to information you provide us during the course of Application Activities. Personal data may include background data including, when allowed by law and relevant to the position, information on criminal history/unlawful conduct; professional and employment information including CV/resume details, professional and academic history, credentials, designations, licenses and personnel files.
- Our marketing and business development activities, including events we host (such as webinars) and social media properties we operate (“Marketing Activities”).
For managing, operating, developing and growing our business, and administering the Services, including through the use of third party service providers and business partners, we process Personal Data about name, attendance, profession, email address, and telephone number, as communicated before and during the Marketing Activity. We also collect relevant Personal Data when you voluntarily submit information, when you register with us to receive information about clinical trials or other research studies, when you register for events such as webinars, trainings, lectures, seminars, or workshops, when you submit a grant request, when you request to receive financial updates about Novavax’ business, when you apply for a job, send us an email or other correspondence, or complete a form in connection with our Services.
Publicly Available Sources including from social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and other publicly available databases may be used when relevant to the purpose for which the information was first shared through those platforms.
We may also process Personal Data for the purpose(s) of developing and maintaining relationships with health care professionals, investigators, researcher, patients and caregivers; for notifying related parties regarding Novavax financial information; for communicating with you to respond to your inquiries and to provide technical or administrative support; investigating and resolving disputes and security issues and enforcing our Terms and Conditions. We may process Personal Data with the purpose of preventing, investigating and providing notice of fraud, unlawful or criminal activity, unauthorized access to or use of Personal Data, the website or our data systems, and to meet legal, regulatory, judicial and company policy obligations; and for other lawful and legitimate business purposes as communicated to you through other means than this policy.
Because Novavax wants to make sure you are provided all relevant information without risking information fatigue, we may provide additional privacy notices to you at the time we collect your data. For example, we often provide a specific privacy notice to participants in research studies or clinical trials (collectively, “Research”) during the informed consent process that describes our privacy practices in connection with conducting Research. This type of an “in-time” notice will govern how we may process the information you provide at that time instead of this privacy notice.
The Data Subjects ("you") we receive Personal Data from in providing the Services are:
- Physicians and other healthcare professionals;
- Clinical trial investigators;
- Potential investors in Novavax;
- Prospective research participants;
- Service providers, contractors and consultants;
- Job applicants; Volunteers; and
- Other individuals who interact directly with Novavax or its business partners.
What personal data we collect
In connection with the Services, and only to the extent necessary for each specific purpose, we collect:
- identification information including name, profession, email address, zip code and telephone number;
- contact information including postal address and e-mail address, zip code and phone number;
- research-specific information including information about patients, caregivers, or Healthcare Professionals and their research activities;
- health information including information about interest and participation in clinical trials, webinars community programs and interest groups;
- professional and employment information including CV/resume details, professional and academic history, credentials, designations, licenses and personnel files;
- service data including information on requests made and interactions with our Services; and
- other background data including information on criminal history/unlawful conduct.
How your Personal Data is collected and how it may be shared
- Within Novavax. We share your Personal Data within Novavax for the purposes set forth above.
- Service providers. We share Personal Data with third-party service providers who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf, such as health care professionals, contract research organizations or other medical institutions conducting Research on our behalf or in collaboration with us, data storage and analytics providers, recruiters, background check providers, event coordinators, market research providers, technology providers (including technology support providers, email communications providers and web developers) or those providers assisting with the Services.
- Regulatory, legal process, safety and terms enforcement. We may disclose Personal Data to governmental regulatory authorities, including in connection with monitoring, review and approval of our studies, products and services, financial disclosure obligations, adverse event reporting, and in response to their requests for such information or to assist in investigations. We may also disclose Personal Data to third parties in connection with claims, disputes or litigation, when otherwise required by law, or if we determine its disclosure is necessary to protect the health and safety of you or us, to protect against fraud or credit risk, or to enforce our legal rights or contractual commitments that you have made.
- Business transfers. We may disclose Personal Data as part of a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, partnership, joint venture, financing, or sale of company assets and may transfer Personal Data to a third party as one of the business assets in such a transaction. Personal Data may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
What rights and control you have over our processing
- Right to access
You have the right to request information on our use of your personal data. You also have the right to request a copy of the personal data being processed by us, at no cost. However, we may charge you a reasonable administrative fee to provide you with additional copies of such information. If you make your access request by electronic means such as email, we will provide you with the information in a commonly used electronic format.
- Right to rectification
We will at your request, or at our own initiative, rectify, anonymize, erase, or complement personal data that you or we discover is inaccurate, incomplete, or misleading. You also have the right to provide us with additional data if relevant information is missing.
- Right to erasure
You have the right to request that we erase your personal data and we must erase it if:
However, there might be requirements under applicable law, or other compelling reasons, that prevent us from immediately erasing your personal data. In such case, we will stop using your personal data for any other reasons than to comply with the applicable law or the relevant compelling reason.
- the personal data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected;
- we use your personal data with your consent, you withdraw your consent and there is no other legal ground for the processing,
- you object to the processing of your personal data based on our legitimate interest and there is no overriding legitimate ground for the processing;
- the personal data has not been lawfully processed, or we are required to erase the personal data due to a legal obligation.
- Right to restriction of processing
We will temporarily restrict the processing of your personal data should you request us to and when:
- you have requested rectification of your personal data, while verifying the accuracy of the data;
- the processing is unlawful, but you do not want the personal data to be erased;
- We, as the data controller, no longer need the personal data for the purpose for which it was collected, but you require us to retain the information for the establishment, exercise, or defence of a legal claim, or you have objected to a processing activity we base on our legitimate interest, during the time we determine whether our legitimate interests override your privacy rights.
- Right to object to processing
You have the right to object to the processing of personal data that we base on our legitimate interests. If you object to such processing, we will only continue with the processing if we have a compelling legitimate reason for the processing that outweighs your interests, rights, or freedoms, or if continued processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise, or defense of a legal claim. You can always contact us for more information on the balance test that has been made prior to processing.
- Right to data portability
You have the right to receive the personal data on you that Novavax process and which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and, if technically feasible, to transmit that data to another controller if:
- Novavax based the processing of that data on your consent, or on fulfillment of a contract with you, and
- the processing is carried out by automated means.
- Where our processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you always have the right to withdraw such consent at any time by contacting us or by using other means communicated to you at the time when you gave your consent. You will find our contact details at the end of this privacy notice.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or concerns about the way Novavax processes your Personal Data, or require assistance in managing your privacy choices, please get in touch with us at:
21 Firstfield Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
Phone: 1-844-NOVAVAX (668-2829)
EU supervisory authorities
How to lodge a complaint
If you wish to raise a concern about our data processing practices, you have the right to do so with your local supervisory authority, found here: https://edpb.europa.eu/csc/about-csc/members-coordinated-supervision-committee_en, or
Novavax's lead supervisory authority, the Czech Republic, using the contact details listed on their website.
Managing communication preferences
If you have signed up to receive information from us (or where permitted by law, if you have provided us or we have obtained your contact information), we may send you email messages, direct mail information, push notifications, or other communications regarding products or services depending on the method of communication selected. You may ask us not to do so when you access our Services or change your preferences by updating any accounts you have with us. At any time, you may elect to discontinue receiving commercial messages from us by following the unsubscribe instructions in the form of the communication you received or by submitting an opt-out request to the contact information set forth in the Contact Us section below.
Printed Materials: To opt out of receiving printed marketing materials at your postal address, such as advertisements, flyers, or postcards, please submit an opt-out request to the contact information set forth in the Contact Us section below. Please be sure to include your name and mailing address exactly as they appear on the printed marketing materials you received. Emails: To opt out of receiving marketing communications via email, please click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email that was sent to you or submit an opt-out request to the contact information set forth in the Contact Us section below. Please note that you may continue to receive certain transactional or account-related electronic messages from us.
The Sites are not intended for, or directed to, children under the age of 18. We do not knowingly receive Personal Data from children under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, do not provide us with any Personal Data either directly, through any website forms, or by any other means. If you become aware that your child has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us at [email protected].
Links to other sites
Our sites contains links to other sites that are not owned or controlled by Novavax. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy policies of such other sites or how these sites operate or treat your Personal Data. We encourage you to be aware of this when you leave our Sites and to read the privacy policies and terms and conditions associated with each of these third party sites that collect personally identifiable information.
Updates to our privacy notice
Novavax is continually improving and adding new functionality and features to the Services. Because of these ongoing improvements, changes in the law and the changing nature of technology, Novavax’ data practices will change from time to time. Accordingly, this privacy notice is subject to occasional revisions. We will notify you of changes by posting the new privacy notice on the sites and updating the effective date of the privacy notice. Such changes to the privacy notice will become effective when posted.